Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Trying on Pride

Dear Pride,

This is a getting to know you letter, a introduction of sorts. I've frankly been quite remiss in my correspondence with you regarding me and my country. We've had a fabulous kinship when it comes to my feelings about relationships, career, travel and, most recently, my daughter. But I think you'll agree that we've been really crappy bunk mates when it comes to this whole being American gig.

Pride, I know Barack Obama won't solve the world's problems. He won't be a perfect president, and I know he'll most likely disappoint me at times. But knowing that we are now lead by a person who possesses the ability to unify and inspire rather than polarize and terrify is the best start on the path to national integrity I've ever seen in my lifetime. The fact that people of all colors, creeds and income brackets turned up in droves - DROVES - to vote is beyond moving. It's beyond a source of pride for me now. It's what will drive me in all future elections and social movements and it will be a story we tell our children so that they understand the value of standing up and making their voices heard.

It's hard not to feel weepy, Pride. You've really ignored me on this front and seeing you finally appear through all this is the best gift I could imagine right now. It's always saddened me that I never felt good enough to hang an American flag on my doorstep. And I have quite literally cringed at the seemingly false pride that has abounded in this country over the last eight years. This has changed now. I still cringe at the phony sense of patriotism some folks cling to, but I see true patriotism and honor in the faces of those celebrating all over the country last night, myself included. This is all magnified by the fact that I have a daughter now. This would be incredible even without her. This would be historic and amazing and inspiring. But knowing that Stella will now spend her young childhood in a world where the impossible is achieved gives me hope as a mother that I will actually be able to tackle the sticky questions she asks me as she grows. To be able to counter the struggle she will see with the hope that this election presents allows me a sense of solace as her mother. Thank you, Pride. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Katherine

P.S. Do you think I should send cynicism a note of condolence? After all, I'm hopeful that I'll be able to shed my cynical pessimism soon. I know we're not out of the woods though, so I may save myself the trouble and merely shelve that bitterness until it becomes thoroughly dusty and outdated.

P.P.S. Hey, thanks for adding that extra oomph to swing me to your side last night. Seeing all those different faces celebrating in Grant Park compared to the homogeneous.... well, you know, the other side, was the final push for me. I'm yours.

P.P.P.S. Do you know where I can return my fake Canadian patch on my traveling backpack? I think I'm ready to look for an American patch.

1 comment:

emma said...

Cynicism has been a very useful bedfellow for getting to actually meet Pride. And don't worry. He throws great healthy parties. .