Monday, November 24, 2008

A Girl and Her Papa

The other night reminded me of how grateful I am to have both Stella and the Papa in my life. More specifically, I swell with love whenever I see them together. Sure, the Papa rocks my socks most of the time. And Stella makes my heart swell just by breathing. But seeing the two of them together, loving on one another with such glee, literally makes me stand back in awe. They take my breath away.

As we were all hanging out in the kitchen preparing dinner, this is what I overheard…

The Papa: Whatch’ya up to, Stella?

Stella: Baroom barroom barroom. Dot gabba gabba doo.

The Papa: Really?

Stella: No.

The Papa: Hmmm. So whatch’ya doing now?

Stella: Babba doo sha dot shee.

The Papa: Well, thank you. Thanks so much. I like that.

This is when I turn around, already pretty amused, to find Stella putting bits of crunched up crackers into the hole in the Papa’s sock.

Enough said.

After dinner, the Papa and Stella headed outside for a quick moon walk. They do this often when it’s a clear night. I love seeing Stella grow more and more excited as she and Papa bundle up together. It’s like she’s totally shocked that she gets to go out one more time before bed.

The Papa decided to bring along his headlamp and camera to document their walk. These are what I found on the camera the next morning.


These photos make me giggle and fill me with intense gratitude. I have often said I really don’t know how single parents make it in this world. Not only must they carry the financial responsibility of their families, but they must foster and nurture the emotional well being of each and every family member (among countless other things). When I see and hear the Papa with Stella, I’m reminded of how deeply fortunate I am in life. And I’m also reminded of how lucky Stella is to have the first man in her life be a man with integrity, compassion and a precocious spirit. And oh how she deserves it all.

Happy Thanksgiving All. May your holiday be ripe with laughter and love amongst all your beloveds.

No comments: